SCOA Re-opening Update
The safety of older adults and the community are top priorities to the Saskatoon Council on Aging.
Current Saskatoon Council on Aging Response:
As safety is paramount, we voluntarily remain with our office closed to public access. Our staff continue to work from home to ensure that older adults have access to resources and information. We can be reached by phone 306-652-2255 or by email email@example.com for referrals. We maintain a dedicated COVID-19 resource page for older adults on our website www.scoa.ca.
We have a plan in place to reopen when it is safe to do so in compliance with guidelines set out by the Government of Saskatchewan. We plan to prepare our facilities in a way that will allow us to maintain the safety of all involved. We also adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic and physical distancing measures by creating new opportunities for older adults to stay connected. These include our Telephone Visit Program and a program that shows older adults how to use ZOOM technology to join social groups online.
Once the City of Saskatoon allows SCOA to use their leased space in the Saskatoon Field House [DATE TBA] our organization will continue to operate with the majority of staff working off site and office closed to the public. The office will use a contact-less business model.
Facilities precautions include but are not limited to:
- A maximum of two staff members will work out of the office with their work space being more than 2 meters apart.
- Shared facilities, office equipment, and common touch surfaces such as telephones, computers, reception desk will receive increased cleaning and disinfection
- All staff must wash hands upon entry and exit of building
- Aside from the regular mail services, clients and staff picking up or dropping off items need to schedule times. Pick ups and drop-offs can be done just outside the front entrance of the Field House.
Classes, Programs and Events
- We plan to host fall programs and classes online via ZOOM. Check our website scoa.ca for updates and class schedules
- Grand Old Opry Zoomer Style is scheduled for October 21 at the Western Development Museum http://www.scoa.ca/opry.html
- Spotlight on Seniors is cancelled for 2020 but will resume in 2021. http://www.scoa.ca/sos.html
While there is a significant amount of COVID-19 information available, SCOA recommends utilizing only trusted resources to avoid confusion.
We suggest you act upon the recommendations found on the following web pages or other trusted resources.
- Visit www.saskatchewan.ca/COVID19 for updates and resources
- Visit Government of Canada for updates and resources
- Visit City of Saskatoon: COVID-19 Information
Potential: SCOA acknowledges the potential challenges brought about by situations such as these. We will continue to do our utmost to remain responsive, flexible, and cooperative in the effort to deliver services and resources to older adults and the community. We will continue to evaluate this model and adjust as necessary as the situation evolves.